Skip to main content

Rakaipaka FREE Swimming Lessons.


A couple of months ago I went and had a look at a new GYM in Silverdale. It is about a 25-30 min drive away.. A huge NEW facility. I found it quite intimidating, which was strange because I used to LOVE aerobic classes and things like that. I think I have just been out in the country where I don’t even see our neighbours from our place. Lol. One great thing that DID come out of the trip was they offered FREE swimming lessons for Rakaipaka for a term… FREE?!?! Yes I know it is a marketing strategy to get people enrolled but ..FREE!!! ok so Ill stop saying the F word hehehehe…
I have to tell you Rakai LOVES it SOOO MUCH!! And he is so good at swimming. At his age the classes are centred around teaching the children how to respond in the water and safety. How to get in and out of the pool themselves what to do if they fall in, some really good skills that I didn’t even really give too much thought into. Have always been more of the technique swimming side. Anyway, as I said he LOVES it. Here he was just he and I on our first day traveling there. He was so excited and happy. Kept saying Im ready and putting on these goggles.  He then said he was swimming because everything was blue! What can you say!!





Last Friday I was sooo proud. He has been so confident in the water and capable too. They have this big floating foam mattress which they do different activities on and this day the children sat on the mat facing the instructor (see parents swim with the kids, so that means I get to swim every Friday too) the instructor then ‘pushed’ them off so they fall into the water backwards. This is to teach them what to do if they fall into the pool backwards, how to be safe… With our house this is bound to happen at some point with these active boys. Well the skill to learn here is to have them fall backwards then do a backwards summersault to come back up facing the right way. The natural tendancy for little ones is to swim down because they are disoreientated. Rakai LOVED it. He would naturally do the summersault pop up, climb up again and after the 2nd time, he was falling backwards himself!! Such a cool little dood… His peers were nowhere near as close to doing it. I am so proud of him! Way to go Rakai.

The other great thing is they have family change rooms with showers etc, it is becoming a tradition to have a LOOOONG hot shower after the lesson. Makes for a fantastic Friday wouldn’t you say?
(Ren starts next week so am bound to have some more swimming stories) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nastiest bug creates a war Zone

This entry has no photo's but as you read on you will see why. I did however need to be recorded for posterity!!! and to say We survived. Renata had been at school only 2 days, He went to his Last Montessori   Class on a Thursday. Friday morning Came and he began to throw up. Within the next 3 days 5 of my 6 children were down with the nastiest vomiting/diarrhea bug I have ever encountered. Arama was away on business, so I was on my own. This bug has had a reputation in our community, taking no prisoners and not missing any members of the family. Yes that bad. I was grateful Arama was away, but my big boy was due to go on his Pinacle Camp for a week with school on the Monday. I prayed that he would not get it. It was Fast Sunday the Sunday before so we both fasted he would not get sick before or ON his camp. (his first 2 days was a 2 day treck in the bush and the only way out was via rescue helecopter – not an option thanks) Just the thought of him possibly gett

teaching independance

I like to think I encourage independance in our home. Helping our kids to be confident that they can do many things on their own. making themselves something to eat is one of these things. For the older boys, I have taught how to cook, the younger ones it is making a sandwich, or whipping cream, making cordial drinks (which they are sooo much better than me now)  even mixing pancake mixture.. Since we watched the Junior Masterchef competition on TV, our kids have really enjoyed getting in there. Arama has made dinner for almost the last week and a half. It was first a trade off so he wouldn't do the dishes after but he seems to be enjoying it. I am more than happy to accomodate too as they will be able to feed themselves when they get bigger - mission etc. Hikawera has also risen to the challenge or mastering the skill of getting himself something to eat. He often hums when he does it (that means he is happy). This day, I watched him place out the 5 slices of bread and them syst

Flashback - Rotten teeth?

I was putting the boys to bed the other night, and as usual you go through the usual teeth toilet, bed etc... I asked Rakai, did you brush your teeth? He said no. (He was honest) So, I said, "do you want your teeth to fall out while you are asleep?" He answered with a sad look on his face, "yes, cause then I can get some money". Oh that was such a Rakai thing to say!! I had to counter that (trying not to laugh) by telling him that the tooth fairy doesn't give money for rotten teeth! Then, Hikawera pipes up saying he got $5 for a rotten (dead actually from being banged) tooth that the dentist had to pull out. I had to go into real damage control then!! Rakai comes out with the funniest things sometimes. He is golden.