Skip to main content

Big Week

It has been a really big week this week. It began with a sick little lamb. Our dear little girl lamb "aroha' was not drinking too well and she became really sick. On wednesday I went to Kelvin and Pip's (the family who gave them to us) and they gave me some medicine to try on her. Sadly when we arrived home, we found she had died that afternoon. So sad but glad she is not suffering anymore. With that, the next morning we held a burial for her.




While Rakaipaka surveyed the area ( he really is neat to watch how comfortable he is around our farm) Renata helped dig the grave.  Rakai helped say a karakia (prayer). When asked what church song we were to sing at the end of our little service, Renata said, "no, not a church song - Mary had a little lamb!!"
So there we were singing Mary had a little lamb to our dear little lamb!!!

I set about making a new pen for the two boys. I was grateful for the materials that had been left behind by the previous owner. In about 2 hours I managed to put up this little pen.



I secured the bottom so they couldn't get out and made sure it was tall enough so that the dogs would not be able to jump over. Then we put the boys in. Oh, how they LOVED it. Jumping around like little lambs should.  Renata and Rakai mixed up some bottles and then were able to sit in the pen and feed them too. It was so great.

It was so neat to watch the lambs lying in the long grass snoozing in the sun, eating grass and being so happy.  

Arama came home tired from work, and I too was tired so we gave the lambs their night feed and hit the hay. This morning we slept in, so the boys rushed to get ready and get on the car but then Arama called me outside. My heart broke as I saw my two little lambs lying still. Through the night, the dogs had somehow gotten to them and had killed them. I bawled for about 5 minutes then went numb. I knew what I had to do. They were buried by their 'sister' under a beautiful native tree. I haven't had the heart to take the pen down, that will be tomorrows task. It is one of those times when you just say, "thats so not fair!!"

Needless to say the house didn't get cleaned today..... until late this afternoon..... but I did get to have a good talk to Pip. By then I was ready to talk and she is such a lovely person. So genuine and caring. Thank Heavens there are still people like that around. I am so blessed. 

There is a silver lining to my week. Here it is. 


My second egg from our hens. This brought a true smile on my face and I felt a sparkle in my eye again. I can carry on.......

Comments

  1. That is so sad but also those kids of yours are just so cute. i so can't wait to be able to come visit you. Your place is just great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nastiest bug creates a war Zone

This entry has no photo's but as you read on you will see why. I did however need to be recorded for posterity!!! and to say We survived. Renata had been at school only 2 days, He went to his Last Montessori   Class on a Thursday. Friday morning Came and he began to throw up. Within the next 3 days 5 of my 6 children were down with the nastiest vomiting/diarrhea bug I have ever encountered. Arama was away on business, so I was on my own. This bug has had a reputation in our community, taking no prisoners and not missing any members of the family. Yes that bad. I was grateful Arama was away, but my big boy was due to go on his Pinacle Camp for a week with school on the Monday. I prayed that he would not get it. It was Fast Sunday the Sunday before so we both fasted he would not get sick before or ON his camp. (his first 2 days was a 2 day treck in the bush and the only way out was via rescue helecopter – not an option thanks) Just the thought of him possibly gett

teaching independance

I like to think I encourage independance in our home. Helping our kids to be confident that they can do many things on their own. making themselves something to eat is one of these things. For the older boys, I have taught how to cook, the younger ones it is making a sandwich, or whipping cream, making cordial drinks (which they are sooo much better than me now)  even mixing pancake mixture.. Since we watched the Junior Masterchef competition on TV, our kids have really enjoyed getting in there. Arama has made dinner for almost the last week and a half. It was first a trade off so he wouldn't do the dishes after but he seems to be enjoying it. I am more than happy to accomodate too as they will be able to feed themselves when they get bigger - mission etc. Hikawera has also risen to the challenge or mastering the skill of getting himself something to eat. He often hums when he does it (that means he is happy). This day, I watched him place out the 5 slices of bread and them syst

Flashback - Rotten teeth?

I was putting the boys to bed the other night, and as usual you go through the usual teeth toilet, bed etc... I asked Rakai, did you brush your teeth? He said no. (He was honest) So, I said, "do you want your teeth to fall out while you are asleep?" He answered with a sad look on his face, "yes, cause then I can get some money". Oh that was such a Rakai thing to say!! I had to counter that (trying not to laugh) by telling him that the tooth fairy doesn't give money for rotten teeth! Then, Hikawera pipes up saying he got $5 for a rotten (dead actually from being banged) tooth that the dentist had to pull out. I had to go into real damage control then!! Rakai comes out with the funniest things sometimes. He is golden.