Skip to main content

Netball

I have been watching Nauvoo's netball team this past season, many times silently frustrated at the incompetency and even a bit annoyed at the attitude the coach and helpers for her team have. I came to the conculsion they must not have played Netball before. Now I am no talented vetran or anything but have played long enough to know the basics. It was frustrating to see that the kids were loosing out because they were not being taught the basic skills and encouraged the way I would expect. So, for most the season I have contemplated approaching them if they needed help. I did not want to step on any toes as such(knowing when I start something I go full steam) but so wanted the team to at least noticably progress rather than get a thrashing every week and the adults shrugging their shoulders, "oh-well"...UUUHHH!!!!!

I started taking Nauvoo to another teams practice of a friend from neighbouring town. She was learning some great skills. With some encouragement from my friend Mili I approached the team coach and manager about helping out. I was informed that indeed none of the adults associated with her team have ever played Netball, and the coach was literally thrown in the deep end.... Yes, so instead of judging I should have stepped up earlier...I know....
Well  for the last few weeks I have been helping out. I have enjoyed it. The first week was a little frustrating but at last weeks game I did what I do best. Nauvoo's team was up against one of the toughest teams in their competition, Parakai. They have a couple of key players that obviously have older siblings and parents involved in the game. Last time they played the team they lost 30-0. Their spectators can be a little intimidating too...Now if any of you have seen be 'spectate' you will know I am not a quiet sit back and relax with the game...... not for rugby, and well any sport. I just can't help myself.... this day was no exception. So, instead of shaking my head wondering why the coach was not 'coaching' the girls on the court. I stepped up. (and loved it too) The whole game I stayed down the opponents shooting end and made sure that our defenders "stuck to their buddies" and shut their GA and GS down. It worked!!  I was SOO pleased. The other words you could hear me calling out was the good old, "one,two. One, two" forget the 3 seconds they had to catch the ball and pass it off to their team mates with a "one two" They did a great job. I have not seen them play as well as they did that day. They were able to get the ball into their shooting 3rd ALOT. (previously some games they would never see the ball in that 3rd). I was so pleased with the kids, and let them know it. The final score was 16 - 4. A great effort.

Yesterday at practice, there was a different note about them, I taught them a drill to practice on how to shoot properly. (thank you mili again) The parents for the shooters for saturday were also taught the drill to help their child at home. It was so good to hear the one boy on our team say, "I love Netball it's my favorite game" .... now isn't that rewarding.

Now I am regretting not stepping in earlier, this little team that was branded never to win, really has great potential. It is a shame that there is only 3 more games left. Next season, I want to put my hand up from the beginning and help these little players reach their potential.!!!!

I was reminded, not to hesitate out of fear, grasp that fear, throw it aside and go with confidence.... Have a great day!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nastiest bug creates a war Zone

This entry has no photo's but as you read on you will see why. I did however need to be recorded for posterity!!! and to say We survived. Renata had been at school only 2 days, He went to his Last Montessori   Class on a Thursday. Friday morning Came and he began to throw up. Within the next 3 days 5 of my 6 children were down with the nastiest vomiting/diarrhea bug I have ever encountered. Arama was away on business, so I was on my own. This bug has had a reputation in our community, taking no prisoners and not missing any members of the family. Yes that bad. I was grateful Arama was away, but my big boy was due to go on his Pinacle Camp for a week with school on the Monday. I prayed that he would not get it. It was Fast Sunday the Sunday before so we both fasted he would not get sick before or ON his camp. (his first 2 days was a 2 day treck in the bush and the only way out was via rescue helecopter – not an option thanks) Just the thought of him possibly gett

teaching independance

I like to think I encourage independance in our home. Helping our kids to be confident that they can do many things on their own. making themselves something to eat is one of these things. For the older boys, I have taught how to cook, the younger ones it is making a sandwich, or whipping cream, making cordial drinks (which they are sooo much better than me now)  even mixing pancake mixture.. Since we watched the Junior Masterchef competition on TV, our kids have really enjoyed getting in there. Arama has made dinner for almost the last week and a half. It was first a trade off so he wouldn't do the dishes after but he seems to be enjoying it. I am more than happy to accomodate too as they will be able to feed themselves when they get bigger - mission etc. Hikawera has also risen to the challenge or mastering the skill of getting himself something to eat. He often hums when he does it (that means he is happy). This day, I watched him place out the 5 slices of bread and them syst

Flashback - Rotten teeth?

I was putting the boys to bed the other night, and as usual you go through the usual teeth toilet, bed etc... I asked Rakai, did you brush your teeth? He said no. (He was honest) So, I said, "do you want your teeth to fall out while you are asleep?" He answered with a sad look on his face, "yes, cause then I can get some money". Oh that was such a Rakai thing to say!! I had to counter that (trying not to laugh) by telling him that the tooth fairy doesn't give money for rotten teeth! Then, Hikawera pipes up saying he got $5 for a rotten (dead actually from being banged) tooth that the dentist had to pull out. I had to go into real damage control then!! Rakai comes out with the funniest things sometimes. He is golden.