Skip to main content

Carma and a blow out!

Carma is a funny thing.... Do you believe in it?? I am not supersticious or anything like that but I do believe what goes around, comes around, and usually with momentum! Weather this has anything to do with my next story I don't know but it is one way of looking at it.

Some Tuesday nights to get Arama T to Mutual (Young Mens activities for 12-17year olds in our church) we drive about 5 minutes and wait for a friend to pick him up. She takes 4 of her girls to the same place every week. ( about a 40 min drive) With out them he would miss out I am sure.

Anyway, Tonight we decided to send him along, so he and I drove off to what I thought would be a quick duck down the road. On our way in the darkness I saw some hazzard lights flashing on a car that was parked on the side of the road. As we drove past, I thought "that is a bugger" (I know I shouldn't use that word...old habbit) I breifly thought to stop then my other voice said, I will be all alone, in the dark, who knows who would be there! Sorry... (how many of us have rationalized like that)

After waiting for Arama's ride for about 10 minutes (Teancum showing me how to use a game on my phone. I wasn't too good and my eyes ended up hurting cause I was staring holes through it to actually be any good at it.. didn't help! hehe..) I sent him on his way hoping he would have a good time, and began my journey home. I moved about 3 meters and felt a funny wobble in the car... What the.?!?!?!?

I pulled over on the side of the country highway and to my dismay, a completely flat tyre, no a blow out, down to the rim. Great!! I had just driven past the only street light for literally miles and the tyre was in the dark. Was there a torch in my glove box? perhaps once but not now! This was not happening.

I called Arama at home to tell him the good news, and as he had the rest of our tribe told me to call him if I have any problems... I once again am thanking my dad for teaching me how to change a tyre - as about 2 months ago I blew out the back tyre on the same car - (it's not my driving, really!!!)  SO..  I grit my teeth and begin. All was going ok, once i remembered which way the nuts came off. I managed to take the deflated tyre off the car, put it in the boot and close the boot door. BANG!!! the car slid off the jack! I was flabbergasted!!!!!

I immediately called my night in shining armour to come. I had one of those moments which ladies do, (yes tears involved. lucky for me it was dark and nothing but the grass growing to hear) then my brain rebooted.  I  repositioned the jack and hoisted the car back off the disks and waited. Boy, when you waiting it can seem such a long time.

Now all the while this was happening, there were soooo many cars, trucks and vehicles passing me by. I suppose the glimps of a lady changing a tyre was entertaining for a moment as not one car stopped until this time. So much for country goodness!!!  Finally Mr Jordan stopped. I was grateful.  He is 4 generations in the area, had a torch and a smile.

Not long after my Night in shining armor came blazing down the road with the calvary.

To cut this long long story short. I don't think the car was damaged. It didn't look like it was last night. Such a blessing I am grateful for. Arama will now get 2 new tyres for the car today and I will have another think when I see hazzard lights flashing in the dark.

Needless to say, and although they would be fun to look at, there are also no photo's to accompany my drama for the day... I am sure you won't mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nastiest bug creates a war Zone

This entry has no photo's but as you read on you will see why. I did however need to be recorded for posterity!!! and to say We survived. Renata had been at school only 2 days, He went to his Last Montessori   Class on a Thursday. Friday morning Came and he began to throw up. Within the next 3 days 5 of my 6 children were down with the nastiest vomiting/diarrhea bug I have ever encountered. Arama was away on business, so I was on my own. This bug has had a reputation in our community, taking no prisoners and not missing any members of the family. Yes that bad. I was grateful Arama was away, but my big boy was due to go on his Pinacle Camp for a week with school on the Monday. I prayed that he would not get it. It was Fast Sunday the Sunday before so we both fasted he would not get sick before or ON his camp. (his first 2 days was a 2 day treck in the bush and the only way out was via rescue helecopter – not an option thanks) Just the thought of him possibly gett

teaching independance

I like to think I encourage independance in our home. Helping our kids to be confident that they can do many things on their own. making themselves something to eat is one of these things. For the older boys, I have taught how to cook, the younger ones it is making a sandwich, or whipping cream, making cordial drinks (which they are sooo much better than me now)  even mixing pancake mixture.. Since we watched the Junior Masterchef competition on TV, our kids have really enjoyed getting in there. Arama has made dinner for almost the last week and a half. It was first a trade off so he wouldn't do the dishes after but he seems to be enjoying it. I am more than happy to accomodate too as they will be able to feed themselves when they get bigger - mission etc. Hikawera has also risen to the challenge or mastering the skill of getting himself something to eat. He often hums when he does it (that means he is happy). This day, I watched him place out the 5 slices of bread and them syst

Flashback - Rotten teeth?

I was putting the boys to bed the other night, and as usual you go through the usual teeth toilet, bed etc... I asked Rakai, did you brush your teeth? He said no. (He was honest) So, I said, "do you want your teeth to fall out while you are asleep?" He answered with a sad look on his face, "yes, cause then I can get some money". Oh that was such a Rakai thing to say!! I had to counter that (trying not to laugh) by telling him that the tooth fairy doesn't give money for rotten teeth! Then, Hikawera pipes up saying he got $5 for a rotten (dead actually from being banged) tooth that the dentist had to pull out. I had to go into real damage control then!! Rakai comes out with the funniest things sometimes. He is golden.